For those of you that like to know a little bit about where we came from, the Brisbane Municipal Concert Band started out in 1903, when a group of musicians, founded and conducted by J. Hendry-Grice, met in a Fortitude Valley drapery store and formed the Valley Concert Band. After a name change to the Albert Street Church Band, it soon became the Brisbane Municipal Concert Band.
The bands longest serving conductor, Ebenezer “Ebby” Jackson, took over the band in 1908 and lasted for a whopping 45 years!
Since then the band has had a number of conductors, including H. Bukler (1953-71, 76-80), E.T Selby (1973-75), S. Fawcett (1980-82, 1983), B.Warden (1982), T. O'Shea (1984), E. Karuas (1985), T. Shacklady (1985-88), M. Roth (1989), K. Stitt (1989-92), P. Burns (1991), J. Black (1992) and D. Jones (1992 - current).
We also have a close affinity with the Armed Forces, beginning in 1932 when the band played at its first Anzac Day service at Graceville Memorial Park. Since then we have continued this tradition with the Sherwood Indooroopilly RSL sub-branch. During both World Wars the band greeted soldiers at the South Brisbane railway station, on some occasions waiting till well after midnight for the train to arrive. It is this spirit of dedication to the community which has helped the band become the longest running community concert band in the city.
The band has been around for 107 years so far and we hope to be around to entertain the people of Brisbane when we celebrate our bicentenary in years to come.